I love this delicious, low-carb salad! The savory bacon, sweet strawberries, and briny Feta cheese make this keto-friendly spinach salad both gorgeous and wonderful to eat. It’s perfect for a Primal or Keto Diet. Easy enough to make a great keto salad, but ‘fancy’ enough to make a great course for your low carb Mother’s Day Meal.
Bacon, Spinach and Strawberry Salad
- 6 ounce Fresh baby spinach organic
- 1 cup Fresh strawberries organic
- 1/2 cup Red onion sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 4 ounce Feta Cheese grass-fed
- 8 slices Garrett Valley Sugar Free Bacon cooked and crumbled, reserve grease
- Juice from 1 fresh lemon save rind
- Salt and pepper
- Optional toasted pecans
- Fry bacon until crispy and drain on paper towels. Reserve the grease and set aside.
- If you want to add the optional toasted pecans, place pecans in a dry skillet over medium heat. Stir constantly until fragrant and starting to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Slice red onion and strawberries. Crumble bacon. Set aside.
- Place spinach in a mixing bowl.
- Now that the bacon grease has cooled a little but is still warm, squeeze the lemon juice into the pan and whisk to incorporate. Add salt and pepper to taste. (If you want to add a little sweetness, a few drops of liquid Stevia would work.) Toss warm dressing with spinach to coat.
- Portion spinach into four salad bowls and top with crumbled bacon, crumbled feta, red onion, strawberries and optional pecans. For a pretty presentation, use a microplane and add a little fresh lemon zest on top of each salad using the lemon rind.
- If you’re making this salad as part of the Ultimate Mother’s Day Keto Dinner, start the bacon first, then the optional pecans, if using. You’ll want to start plating the salads when the pork comes out of the oven to rest and the asparagus goes in to broil!
Berries are one of the best fruits to include on a ketogenic diet, and strawberries are so gorgeous, I feel happy just seeing them! High in fiber and antioxidants, these powerhouse fruits pack a lot of punch with a low carb count. Strawberries are great as a colorful addition on a salad, with their juicy hint of sweetness. Combine them with crispy bacon crumbles, briny feta cheese and wilted spinach from a homemade bacon dressing, and you will love this beautiful, low-carb summer salad! I designed this salad as a Keto/Primal starter course for a holiday meal, but it’s so versatile you can use it in so many ways! Make it your side dish for a week night meal or add chicken or some other protein and you’ve got a fantastic salad lunch. The dressing can be made ahead and taken to work in a separate container. For a Paleo/non-dairy version, omit the Feta cheese. Use the optional toasted pecans instead or even try it with avocado.
Nutrition - Not laboratory tested.
If you like the recipe below, please take a moment to Rate this recipe and Share it. We work so hard on publishing these recipes, and those little acts of kindness mean the world to us.