Eating a keto breakfast while you’re on vacation doesn’t have to be hard! This savory crowd pleasing recipe for Keto Breakfast Casserole is easy and sure to please. You’ll want to make this ketosis preserving breakfast again when you get back home!
We took our kids on vacation last week, and we knew we wanted to stay keto on vacation. One of the best way to stay true to your ketogenic lifestyle while traveling is to plan ahead and do as much cooking for yourself as you can. We stayed in a condo that had a small kitchen, so we knew we could cook the kinds of food we wanted.
We did make a few well-chosen exceptions for non-keto food and beverage, in order to take full advantage of the local cuisine. We were on the Gulf Coast, and we didn’t want to miss the chance to try Oysters Rockefeller, just because of a few bread crumbs! I did also have some Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos that were outstanding, and I didn’t stress the two corn tortillas one bit!
Maintaining a keto lifestyle is really about balance. Knowing that you don’t have to be super strict all the time makes it easy, especially when you know that you have set yourself up for success by creating metabolic flexibility in your body. Being in ketosis the majority of the time gives you the metabolic machinery to move back and forth between burning glucose and burning fat effortlessly.
So most of the time, we ate keto-friendly foods, either that we cooked ourselves or by choosing ketogenic items from the menu at restaurants.
This yummy Keto Breakfast Casserole was actually lunch for us one day. Stacey and I rarely eat breakfast, but when we went to the grocery store, we bought some eggs and sausage for the kids, knowing that would be a breakfast they would enjoy. When they ended up eating leftovers from the day before for breakfast for the first few days, I realized I needed to come up with a way to use those breakfast ingredients!
And so this Keto Breakfast Casserole was born. As we sat on the balcony eating, my daughter couldn’t stop talking about how much she loved it. She said, “Mom, you have to put this on the website! It’s so good!” We hope you love it as much as we did, whether you eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Keto Vacation Breakfast Casserole
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 9 large pastured eggs
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp pink sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 12 oz. package frozen riced cauliflower frozen
- 1 cup colby cheese shredded
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add sausage and increase heat to medium. Fry until browned.
- Cook frozen riced cauliflower in microwave, according to package instructions.
- In a separate bowl, crack eggs and whisk with heavy cream.
- Stir in salt, pepper, thyme and cayenne (if using) to egg mixture.
- When sausage is browned, add egg mixture to skillet, stirring carefully.
- Let eggs cook until almost done, stirring occasionally. They should not be wet anymore, but still have just a bit of shine.
- Add cauliflower, and cook until eggs are done and everything is heated through.
- Stir in the shredded cheese and serve!