As I’ve said before, I love chocolate.
Really LOVE it.
So I need good and healthy ways to eat it. That need led to the creation of this Avocado Mousse recipe to give me my chocolate fix in a good fat bomb.
I first created this recipe when I was eating a Primal Diet, and I made it with honey then. Now I’m eating keto, and I’ve tweaked the recipe to create a sugar-free avocado mousse which is just as good.
Full of great healthy fats from avocado and coconut and antioxidants and minerals from the cacao powder, this powerhouse Keto Diet treat isn’t just any old chocolate fix.
This mousse is so good that even my kids will eat it for dessert with just a little addition of our own backyard honey (as I used to make it when I ate a Primal Diet). The recipe below is designed for a Keto Diet, but if you simply replace the Swerve sweetener with honey, this also makes an outstanding Primal dessert. For dairy-free and Paleo, replace the heavy whipping cream with extra coconut milk.
So have your chocolate and eat it, too. And smile because you’re doing your body good!
Best Keto Avocado Mousse Recipe
Keto Avocado Mousse
- 4 large avocados
- 1/2 can full-fat coconut milk –linked below–
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream replace with extra coconut milk for dairy free/Paleo
- 8 tbsp cacao powder –linked below–
- 6 tbsp Swerve confectioner’s sweetener or honey for Primal/Paleo, if desired. –linked below–
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash pink sea salt
- Pit your avocados, and be careful! Watch the video below for a demonstration. Scoop the flesh out and place in a food processor.
- Add coconut milk to food processor. Most canned coconut milk will have separated and the cream will be a thick layer at the top. To get just half, use a table knife and slice through the cream, scooping half into the processing bowl. Then pour about half the coconut water into the bowl. Stir the remaining contents of the can together, place in a ziplock bag and save for another use.
- Add cream, vanilla, salt, cacao powder and sweetener to bowl. Pulse until ingredients start to combine, then process on high until smooth. Scrape down the sides once or twice to make sure everything gets incorporated.
- Taste and adjust if needed. If it’s too avocado-y, add more cacao powder and sweetener. If it’s too bitter, add sweetener. If it’s too sweet, add cacao powder!
- Keep your mousse in a covered container in the refrigerator. Try not to eat it all at once!